Arriving in the Grésivaudan valley in 1867, this industrialist and engineer initially set up a wood grating mill, using the force of a torrent channelled into a 200-metre-long penstock. In 1882, he used this hydraulic energy, which he managed to channel into a 500-metre pipe, to set up his paper mill in Lancey. It was then that white coal began to flourish. As a result, he settled with his family in the house that now houses the White Coal Museum – Maison Bergès.
A varied museum
Leaving Allevard-les-Bains to go to the White Coal Museum – Maison Bergès will be an excellent idea for a visit. In an environment combining art nouveau and symbolism with industrial souvenirs, images of the Bergès family and industrial objects can be seen there. Young and old alike will be able to treat themselves to a real journey into a scientific and technical world, with workshops for children and an educational room.